There was a time when the ping of a new message in your inbox would get you excited to open and see what it has for you. But these days, it takes a lot more for someone to actually bother opening any particular email from a pile of emails that flood their inbox every day.
Unless an email has something which is genuinely useful or super-interesting, it is likely to be discarded along with other junk emails. So the question is, are email newsletters still relevant enough to invest valuable time and money into?
The answer is yes!
Email newsletters still remain one of the best means of expanding your brand reach and communicating with your existing as well as potential customers. Not convinced? Let me give you some of the most conclusive reasons why newsletters must remain part of your online marketing strategy.
- Newsletters help in maintaining your reputation as a customer-centric brand.
- They aid in promoting and sharing your success stories with your loyal followers.
- They help in building relationships with the target audience by keeping them in the loop of your brand’s latest developments
- Newsletters are one of the quickest means of conveying important news or information to your readers.
- Lastly, they are more cost-effective than majority of the other marketing methods.
So you see, engaging newsletters should definitely be a part of your online marketing strategy, especially if you are actively looking to increase the number of followers/customers for your brand.
Now, moving on to the more important bit.
For your newsletters to work, you will need to ensure that they stand out from the heap of emails that flood your subscriber’s inbox daily. And this can only be done if you know certain tricks of successful email marketing. To make things easier for you, we have compiled some of the best, tried-and-tested email marketing tricks used by industry leaders, which will effectively help you to grow your client base.
Want to share this on your site? Just copy the code below!
Below is the extended version of the above infographic which tells you the best tested and tried email marketing techniques. Keep this tricks in mind next time for your email marketing campaign. So, dive in!
- Trick #1: Create An Email List
- Trick #2: Follow A Fixed Routine
- Trick #3: Conduct A/B Testing
- Trick #4: Carry Out Audience Research
- Trick #5: Do a Segmentation of the Audience
- Trick #6: Determine An Ideal Time To Drop Your Email
- Trick #7: Create A Free Product (PDF or eBook)
- Trick #8: Create a Series of Emails/Offer a Mini Course on Your Area of Specialty
- Trick #9: Make It As Personalized As Possible
- Trick #10: Share What You Know
- Trick #11: Be Available At All Times
- Trick #12: Create & Tell A Story
- Trick #13: Add An Element of Mystery To Your Emails
- Trick #14: Create A Sense of Urgency
- Trick #15: Try Including Infotainment in Your Emails
- Trick #16: Write Extremely Catchy Headlines
- Trick #17: Offer a Money Back Guarantee While Selling Digital Services
- Trick #18: Create a Powerful Sign-Up Form
- Trick #19: Ensure That Your Email Newsletters Are Visually Appealing
- Trick #20: Display Your Brand’s Logo Very Prominently
- Trick #21: Include “Email To A Friend” in Your Newsletter
- Trick #22: Remails
- Trick #23: Follow Up On Every Profitable Click
- Trick #24: Track Your Clicks
- Trick #25: Use Email Marketing Metrics
- Trick #26: Know When NOT To Send Emails
- Trick #27: Merge Social Media With Your Email Marketing
Trick #1: Create An Email List
Before you start working on creating those compelling newsletters, there is one thing which you need to ensure, and that is, creating an email list. For your brand to get the right kind of attention, it is very important that you include everyone who’s related to your industry in some way or the other.
So the question is how do you grow your email list?
- The first thing you need to do is, create an attractive and prominent sign-up form on your website. Instead of giving your social sharing buttons more importance, make your email sign-up form more conspicuous.
- Tell them very strongly and clearly what good things lie in store for them if they subscribe to your email.
- Conduct engaging online contests and surveys so that you get some genuine email addresses from the registration process.
- And lastly, generate compelling and informative content which impels your readers to subscribe to your newsletters.
Trick #3: Conduct A/B Testing
Here, you will need to create two different versions (A & B) of the same newsletter, and send them to two small, different test groups. The version which gets the maximum number of clicks and opens will be the winning version, which can then be sent to your important subscribers.
You can create engaging email campaigns for A/B Testing through Campaign Monitor.
Trick #5: Do a Segmentation of the Audience
There is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to the kind of customers you’ll get online. You will have to be prepared to cater to a wide range of customer types. Hence, it’s important to segment your audience and then plan your email marketing strategies accordingly, to get the most effective results.
But which criteria do you consider when segmenting a wide customer base?
Here are a few suggestions;
- Geographic location Segmentation
- Gender Based Segmentation
- Niche/Industry Segmentation
- Segmentation based on Content Preference
- Segmentation based on Brand Followers
- Segmentation based on Previous Purchases
- Segmentation based on Subscriber’s Email Activity
Trick #7: Create A Free Product (PDF or eBook)
Email newsletters are one of the most effective ways of selling your products or services to prospective clients. Hence, you should use it wisely to attract genuinely interested customers to your website.
And you can do so by creating a free PDF or eBook which offers something informative or helpful to your subscribers, to be downloaded for free. This will add an element of reliability to your brand.
Trick #9: Make It As Personalized As Possible
A very important rule of email marketing is to make your subscriber feel special so that he/she may open your email and actually check out or buy what you have to offer. For that, you need to talk to your readers as if you are actually speaking to someone you know.
Address each subscriber with his/her name, thank them for their loyalty, offer them special gifts/discounts and send out newsletters with relevant information based on their past searches, so that they are more likely to open your emails, and look forward to your newsletters in the future.
Trick #11: Be Available At All Times
Try and be available at all times to address your readers’ concerns or help them through with their problems. This one effort will separate you from your competitors and make your subscribers trust you more when the time comes to choose. Instead of waiting for another day, shoot back a response as soon as you can, if a reader has replied to your newsletter.
Trick #13: Add An Element of Mystery To Your Emails
Learn how to persuade your subscribers through your emails, without giving everything away at once. Without beating around the bush, give your customers a bait which requires them to click through to your website, in order to learn more about your offer.
For example, if you wish to tell your subscribers about a sale or discount on your products, tell them about the discount but not the products on which the discount applies. This will compel them to open your website and check out the products which interest them.
However, don’t forget to give them enough incentive to actually get them interested enough to check out your product.
Trick #15: Try Including Infotainment in Your Emails
For those of you wondering what exactly ‘infotainment’ means, here is a simple description; It’s Information + Entertainment. Include some pop culture references in your email, especially if you know your reader likes a certain TV show, movie, music band, magazine or book.
For instance, if your subscriber has liked and searched for something related to his favourite movie, and if you send a newsletter with a subject line which has a reference to his favourite character this show, he is sure to get curious enough to open it.
Trick #17: Offer a Money Back Guarantee While Selling Digital Services
When it comes to selling your services online, the first thing any entrepreneur should do is, gain the trust of his followers and subscribers. Only then will he be able to sell his services successfully as time progresses.
If your newsletter is selling a digital service or product, make sure you offer a Money Back Guarantee, if the service does not deliver its promise within a certain amount of time. This will compel your audience to trust your authenticity and urge them to give your service a try.
Trick #19: Ensure That Your Email Newsletters Are Visually Appealing
Along with engaging content, your newsletters should also be rich in another element- Visual Appeal.
Take, for example, two newsletters which have the same content but are designed in different ways. One has a straight-forward design with minimum images and colours while the other is vibrant and filled with relevant imagery to complement the content. Which one are you likely to connect with more?
The latter of course!
So give equal importance to the design and graphical side of your newsletter, along with quality content.
Trick #21: Include “Email To A Friend” in Your Newsletter
When somebody subscribes to your newsletter, he/she is likely to have friends or colleagues who may also be interested in what you have to say.
When you include an “Email to a Friend,” or “Forward to a Friend” option in your email, it will allow your subscribers to share your emails with their friends with just one click.
In other words, by including this one little option, you’ll be able to target a wide range of audience through just one newsletter. MailChimp allows you to add such an option, and you can learn more about how to add it here.
Trick #23: Follow Up On Every Profitable Click
When someone clicks on any link provided within your newsletter, it indicates that the person is genuinely interested in what you have to offer.
You can send these people a follow-up email thanking them, and asking them if they need any further help about using your service or product.
Additionally, you can also offer another incentive in your follow up mail, in the form of a discount on another related service, thereby ensuring both, their trust and another sale.
Trick #25: Use Email Marketing Metrics
There are certain email marketing metrics which you definitely need to measure if you are to improvise your marketing strategies and please your subscribers in the future. Here are some of the most important email marketing metrics which you should measure;
- Time spent while reading or viewing the email.
- Number of subscribers lost.
- The device used to access the email.
- Number of total/new leads generated.
- Customer conversion rate.
- Number of inactive subscribers.
- CTR, Bounce Rate and ROI (Can be calculated with the help of certain formulas as described here)
Trick #27: Merge Social Media With Your Email Marketing
Social media has become the most popular platform to build fruitful relationships with potential customers. And the good news is, you can easily merge social media with your email marketing campaigns to gain maximum benefits. Here’s how you can go about it;
- Start by linking your email list and promoting your blogs on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, and other social networks.
- You can also follow your subscribers on various platforms to know them and understand their likes and dislikes.
- Retarget ads on the social profiles of the subscribers who opened your emails.
- Collect email addresses and extend your list, fro Facebook and Twitter.
- Create special groups on Facebook meant only for loyal followers.