If you have an online business then I am sure that, how to be first on Google & how to get more website traffic, are probably the two foremost questions on your mind.
While Google AdWords can help you achieve both, traffic as well as improved rankings on Google, running an Adwords account is not an easy task.
With constant updates & changes, understanding how Adwords work, and how to manage your campaigns effectively, can be tricky.
Thus, to make things simpler for you, we’ve collected some truly useful ways of improving your Adwords CTR & conversion rate. The below checklist consists of 41 useful techniques, that if applied thoughtfully, can help you to get the highest returns on your investment in just 7 days.
- #1. Analyze Competitors Ad Campaigns
- #2. Organize Ads Into Campaigns & Ad Groups
- #3. Use Mirrored Adwords Campaign
- #4. Use Capital Letters In Ad Text
- #5. Optimize Your Ad’s Text
- #6. Use Dynamic Search Ads
- #7. Invest In Brand Terms
- #8. Add Trademark Symbol In Ad Text
- #9. Align Keywords, Copy With Landing Pages
- #10. GSN v/s GDN
- #11. Use Dynamic Keyword Insertion
- #12. Test The Optimal Ad Position
- #13. Invest In Mobile PPC Ads
- #14. Optimize Your Landing Page
- #15. Install Adwords Conversion Tracking
- #17. Use A/B Split Test On Ads
- #18. Use Descriptive Display URL
- #19. Use Actionable Long Tail Keywords
- #20. Pause Keywords With Low CTRs
- #21. Use Remarketing Strategy
- #22. Raise Bid On Target Keywords
- #23. Use Geo-Targeting To Boost Local PPC
- #24. Use Conversion Optimizer
- #25. Use Negative Keywords
- #26. Link Google My Business To Adwords
- #27. Use Auction Insights
- #28. Use Of Adwords Labels
- #29. Integrate Adwords & Google Analytics
- #30. Integrate Adwords & Google Plus To Improve Brand Visibility
- #31. Use Adwords Opportunities Tab
- #32. Analyze Search Terms Report
- #33. Combine SEO & PPC Strategy
- #34. Use Advanced Ad Scheduling
- #35. Analyze Search Funnel Reports
- #36. Improve Your Quality Score
- #37. Link Adwords To Google Search Console
- #38. Use Adwords Performance Grader Tool
- #39. Use Adwords Ad Extensions
- #40. Submit Rich Snippets Information
- #41. Use A Strong Call-To-Action
#1. Analyze Competitors Ad Campaigns
By analyzing your competitors Ad campaign you get insight on;
- Keywords they are bidding on
- Ranking information of those keywords
- Number of searches for important keywords.
In short, you get all the information of your competitors advertising history, which can immensely help you to plan your own ad campaign.
#3. Use Mirrored Adwords Campaign
What is a Mirrored Campaign?
Splitting an existing campaign into two individual campaigns, wherein one campaign consists of exact match keyword, while the other contains broad match keyword, is known as a Mirrored campaign.
Why should you use it?
Mirrored campaign helps you to improve your ads Quality Score which leads to decrease in CPA (Cost-per-acquisition)
#5. Optimize Your Ad’s Text
An optimized Ad text consists of a descriptive title with keywords, a strong call-to-action, proper capitalization, plus it has additional information such as site-link, which makes the ad more compelling and click-worthy.
#7. Invest In Brand Terms
Not only is it a cost-effective method, but it also helps you to avoid losing clicks to your competitors.
As you can see in the above-mentioned example, users sometimes use brand name while searching for a product.Thus, by biding on its own brand name, “Teabox” was able to rank higher in the SERPs and score a click.
#9. Align Keywords, Copy With Landing Pages
In PPC campaign, Ads’ alignment matters.
If a user clicks on a link which has a keyword “Halloween Candy Sale” and it doesn’t land him on the page that he is looking for, he will leave immediately.
Also aligning your ad copy with landing pages, helps you to enhance the user experience, which boosts your ranking on search engine.
#11. Use Dynamic Keyword Insertion
Dynamic Keyword Insertion (DKI) is an Adwords feature, that allows you to create ads, that dynamically update based on the users search query & the keywords in your ad group.
If the keyword “Car” is a part of your ad group and if it matches the search term used by a customer, Adwords will dynamically update your ad to insert the searched keyword or phrase (under 3 lakh) into a search ad.
DKI helps you to stand out against other ads, as it automatically highlights your ad in bold if the user’s search query matches your keyword.
#13. Invest In Mobile PPC Ads
The simple reason is because web searches made through Mobile devices have increased tremendously in recent years. Investing in Mobile PPC Ads helps you to boost your local PPC since local searches & mobile devices are closely tied.
Also, Mobile Ads are cost-effective, as the average CPC of Mobile ads is lower than that of desktop paid searches.
#15. Install Adwords Conversion Tracking
Adwords conversion tracking is a free tool that helps you to understand what happens after a user clicks on your ad.
- It shows you which medium – desktop ads or mobile ads, is converting better.
- It helps you see which keywords, ads, ad groups, & campaigns are best at driving valuable traffic
- It helps you to make an informed decision on how you spend your PPC budget
In short, it provides you with useful data, that can help you to optimize your PPC Ad campaigns according to your business goals.
#17. Use A/B Split Test On Ads
A/B testing helps you to determine which version of your ad is performing better, by testing them against each other.
If you want to test which ad platform – desktop or mobile, works better for your paid searches, you can use A/B testing to measure performance and based on the result, work on a strategy that will help you to enhance your PPC campaign.
#19. Use Actionable Long Tail Keywords
A great optimization strategy, using long tail keywords helps you be more specific in your Ad text, which helps you to rank high on SERPs.
How do you find Long Tail Keywords?
#21. Use Remarketing Strategy
What is Remarketing?
Simply put, Remarketing is a technique wherein you show the same ad, that a customer viewed on your website, on a different site the customer is currently viewing, with the hope that he will click on the ad and make a purchase.
- Remarketing helps in Brand building
- It turns bounced website visitors into leads
- It increases repeat visitors leading to a high conversion rate.
Moreover, it is a cost-effective method, as the CPC bids of Remarketing clicks are cheap.
#23. Use Geo-Targeting To Boost Local PPC
Geo-targeting is an Adwords feature, that helps you show your ads to customers in a selected geographical location.
If you are a local business, then targeting your ad to right people at right places (location), will ensure that you won’t spend your PPC ad budget on unnecessary clicks.
Plus, it will help you to rank better for local search queries & improve the visibility of your Brand
#25. Use Negative Keywords
Negative keywords stop your ad from showing up for irrelevant search queries.
If you are selling brand new “LG smartphones”, you don’t want your ad to appear when someone searches for ‘refurbished LG smartphones’, so ‘refurbished’ should be a negative keyword for your campaign.
With the help of Negative keywords, you are able to significantly reduce irrelevant clicks leading to lower CPC & CPA bids.
#27. Use Auction Insights
What is Auction Insights?
Auction Insights is a statistical report, that gives you information on how your ad is performing compared to other advertisers.
By searching for a specific keyword (i.e digital agency) on Auction Insights, you are able to view how successful your keyword (ad) is, in terms of average position, impression share, top of page rate, etc, compared to your competitors.
Besides helping you to track & analyze your competitors ad performance, Auction Insights report gives you
- Valuable insight on which keyword is performing better, and which needs to be paused.
- It helps you to make an informed choice while bidding for a keyword.
- It helps you to make bid adjustments for existing keywords, by providing data for each keyword.
#29. Integrate Adwords & Google Analytics
Because, while your Adwords account tells you how much money your ads cost & how many conversions you are getting, do you know what happens between the click & the conversion?
Or how much of your website traffic comes from Adwords?
Well then, the simplest way to track this information, is to link your Google Analytics account with your Adwords account.
By doing so, you’ll be able to see:
- Percentage of New Visits
- Pages viewed per Visit
- Bounce Rate
- Average Visit Duration
It provides you with valuable data, that helps you to improve your Adwords performance. Read here to know how to add Google Analytics to WordPress.
#31. Use Adwords Opportunities Tab
What is Opportunities Tab?
Opportunities Tab is an Adword tool, that analyzes your PPC account’s performance history, campaign settings etc. and comes up with ideas (opportunities), which if implemented, can help you to improve your ads performance.
By making use of Opportunities Tab, you’ll be able to save money by spending your Ad budget wisely and be able to create ads that are more relevant, by making use of the suggested ideas.
#33. Combine SEO & PPC Strategy
Combining PPC & SEO will help you to dominate the top of Google search results for organic as well as paid ads.
In the below-mentioned example, on a search performed for "British Airways", you will notice that the brand has a paid ad on top, followed by the organic top listing, alongside the right sidebar information.
In short, they completely dominate the search result for their brand.
By clubbing the two - PPC & SEO together, you’re able to, increase the total search traffic of your website organically and improve your brand's online visibility. Go here to know more about the common SEO mistakes to avoid.
#35. Analyze Search Funnel Reports
Another Adwords Tool, Search Funnels now called Attribution, provides you with detailed information on how a conversion was made.
It gives you an overview of how many days it took for a conversion, clicks-per-conversion, ad impression, etc.
By getting a detailed overview of how a conversion was made, you’re able to:
- Understand how a customer searches for a product i.e. which search terms are used, which helps you to create better ad copies.
- Modify bids based on how a keyword is performing
#37. Link Adwords To Google Search Console
By linking the two accounts, you’ll get a combined report on both paid ads and organic listing, which will allow you to see & compare their performance at keyword and search query level.
How is this helpful?
For instance, if your paid search term (running shoes) is performing well organically, you may want to lower your paid keyword bid or pause it altogether.
Thus, by having a complete picture of how the two - organic listing & paid ads, are performing, you are able to optimize your PPC campaign to get more return on your investment.
#39. Use Adwords Ad Extensions
What are they?
In a nutshell, Adwords Ad extensions are additional pieces of relevant information within a text ad.
Ad extensions are the easiest way, through which you can get more search engine visibility & clicks, that too at no additional cost. Plus it helps you to:
- Improve your ad presence i.e. it sets you apart from competitors
- Improve your ads positioning on SERPs.
- Make your ad copy more compelling
#41. Use A Strong Call-To-Action
Your PPC Ad text needs to have a strong Call-to-Action!
As you can see in the above example, a powerful ad title includes a strong call-to-action “Get Rid of Pests at Lowest Prices”, to entice potential customers to click on the ad.